TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 08:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Political Philosophy
| | |-+  Ayn Rand or Karl Marx?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ayn Rand or Karl Marx?  (Read 655 times)
CWO3ROBBIE
Member in Good Standing

« on: November 08, 2009, 06:53:33 PM »

Have you read either? Do you agree with either to the exclusion of the other? Which do you think was more intelligent? Do you think either one fully understood what they were writing about?

"FREE SPEECH AND THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED CANNOT COEXIST"!
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »

Have you read either? Do you agree with either to the exclusion of the other? Which do you think was more intelligent? Do you think either one fully understood what they were writing about?

I haven't spent much time reading Marx, and zero time reading Rand.

Marx has gotten a lot of traction, and although most of his followers eventually abandoned pure "marxism", the basic ideas live on.  Given the natural evolution of ideas over time, and the changes in basic technology that he didn't anticipate, I think his ideas are holding up pretty well.

On the other hand, I don't know any political scientists who consider Rand to be anything a long-winded and pretentious novelist.  She certainly knew what she was doing--writing books to entertain her audience--but she's not in the same academic league as Marx.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »

Marx was a kindly idealist who was worried about the well-being of others. Rand was a self-serving egotist. There was an intersting film about Rand with Helen Mirren. The Passion of Ayn Rand, (I think.)

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: