TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 08:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Coffee talk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coffee talk  (Read 2854 times)
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« on: November 06, 2009, 07:41:55 AM »

I've gotten to where I like a really good cup of coffee.

I'm not sure when this happened to me, I've always been happy with the generic and house brands that I get at the store, but lately I've been served some blends that have really excited my palate.  Not being a coffee connoisseur, I'm not sure what wonderful blends are out there.  I do NOT like the artifiacially flavored beans.  If I want a little hazelnut or vanilla extract in my coffee, I can add it myself.
Does anyone know of some good coffees that I should put on my Christmas wish list?

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
CWO3ROBBIE
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »

I've gotten to where I like a really good cup of coffee.

I'm not sure when this happened to me, I've always been happy with the generic and house brands that I get at the store, but lately I've been served some blends that have really excited my palate.  Not being a coffee connoisseur, I'm not sure what wonderful blends are out there.  I do NOT like the artifiacially flavored beans.  If I want a little hazelnut or vanilla extract in my coffee, I can add it myself.
Does anyone know of some good coffees that I should put on my Christmas wish list?
I am surprised!!! I thought you were the type of person who would order coffee to go and then wander off without it going with you.
However since you do seem to be a sincre person, I will bend to your wishes (or should that be a singular word)? Don't want to get the English Grammer and Spelling Gods stired up. Anyway, The Coffee that I now buy and drink is KONA SUNRISE. It is Hawaiian. However, I haven't seen it anywhere around here. I get it in the military Comissaries. They also have a "KONA CLASSIC" that has a nice flavor.

"FREE SPEECH AND THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED CANNOT COEXIST"!
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »

I am surprised!!! I thought you were the type of person who would order coffee to go and then wander off without it going with you.
However since you do seem to be a sincre person, I will bend to your wishes (or should that be a singular word)? Don't want to get the English Grammer and Spelling Gods stired up. Anyway, The Coffee that I now buy and drink is KONA SUNRISE. It is Hawaiian. However, I haven't seen it anywhere around here. I get it in the military Comissaries. They also have a "KONA CLASSIC" that has a nice flavor.

You strike me as the kind of person who just might let someone wander off without giving them the coffee that they ordered....but you do make a good cup of coffee nonetheless.  I shall keep my eye open for KONA coffees.

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
Felicia
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »

I have a friend who swears by Costa Rican coffee. Hope this is helpful. And that you don't have to travel far to get it. Smiley

We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.  ~Mark Vonnegut
baf
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:01:36 PM »

There's a small outfit nearby that roasts "fair trade" beans called Kicking Horse Co. My favourite medium bodied blend of theirs is Three Sisters. I might have to send you a bag of the stuff, Pru... a bit out of your way, these Rockies.
As a one-cup-a-day coffee lover, I've elevated that one cup to a high art: it's got to be freshly ground, french pressed and as strong as rocket fuel  ,-)

Outside the box is far vaster than inside.
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 05:02:07 AM »

There's a small outfit nearby that roasts "fair trade" beans called Kicking Horse Co. My favourite medium bodied blend of theirs is Three Sisters. I might have to send you a bag of the stuff, Pru... a bit out of your way, these Rockies.
As a one-cup-a-day coffee lover, I've elevated that one cup to a high art: it's got to be freshly ground, french pressed and as strong as rocket fuel  ,-)

When I was raising the kids, I never even noticed what I was drinking.  Who cared about the taste....it was the caffeine I was after.  Now I'm like you.  I want it to be good.

stillgoing
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »

I subscribe to Gevalia and get gourmet coffee sent to me. They have a big selection and special purchase offers.

http://www.gevalia.com/continuity/quick-enroll.aspx?keycode=122006&gclid=CJCowoiJ_J0CFSZdagodFmyWpw

It also relieves me of 1. Shopping and 2. Thinking about it.
Scooter
Member in Good Standing

Once a Tramp, Always a Tramp

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »

HEY PRU!!!!!!!
Coffee. the elixer of the gods. I like 8-o'clock, Maxwell House-Pacific Blend, Dunkin-Donuts fresh ground. But the real treat is the half cup of Kahlua in it every morning. At least while I polish off the first pot. Wink

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  - Voltaire
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. - Oscar Wilde
BoobooPuppy
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:58:28 AM »

I like the Kona coffees from Hawaii.  And I like whatever brand that Olive Garden brews.  I used to use less coffee when I made it myself, but these days, I like it richer.  I don't care for flavors added after it's brewed (flavored cream or syrups), but I like several of the flavored roasts.  That said, I usually buy whatever traditional brand is on sale. 
D.D. Olson
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »

I usually buy French Roast Peace Coffee.  It makes a good, rich cup of coffee.
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »

Peace coffee?Huh?

WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »

Peace coffee?Huh?

Truly Peace coffee is a good thing to buy - It is harvested from shade grown trees in areas with the environment in mind and fair trade. I recommend Kona too - It is SO good!  Of course Wolfgang Puck makes a good cup of coffee too if you don't order creme brulee to go along with it.

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »

I'm here with my coffee and no one is around! WAAAAAHHHHH!

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »

HEY PRU!!!!!!!
Coffee. the elixer of the gods. I like 8-o'clock, Maxwell House-Pacific Blend, Dunkin-Donuts fresh ground. But the real treat is the half cup of Kahlua in it every morning. At least while I polish off the first pot. Wink

Or Irish coffee!

Rhiannnonn
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »

Then there are the coffees that Barney's Coffee and Tea Company has. Some are flavored (the best flavored ones are the ones that show up about this time of year for Christmas time), some are blends of different types of beans, some are different roasts, and are special specifically to where they're grown. Kona is just wonderful. Blue Mountain (from the Carribean, I think specifically Jamaica) is supposed to be excellent also. But Blue Mountain is a King's Ransom. I don't don't know if it's true or not, but I was in Marshall's in the last couple days and reading the back of a coffee bag that suggested that Kona and Blue Mountain are the same bean just grown in different places. Now, if you want to say they are the same bean because they're both Arabica, that's still a big territory to fill. My opinion is that both being Arabian beans as compared to Columbian beans still leaves worlds of difference between them.

I have simply got to get a coffee grinder so that I can go back to grinding beans by the pot. What ever coffee you like always tastes best ground fresh by the pot. And it's easier to chew on a bean that hasn't been ground yet. (LOL!) As for the pressed coffee that was mentioned before, I've never had pressed coffee. However, I think that I would about kill to know how to make a good cup of Espresso! I'd even settle for how to do it with a maku instead of one the expensive machines....

Your most radiant garment is of the other person's weaving;
Your most savory meal is that which you eat at the other person's table;
Your most comfortable bed is in the other person's house.
Now tell me, how can you separate yourself from the other person?

Sand and Foam ~~ Kahlil Gibran
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: