TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 08:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Political Philosophy
| | |-+  Interesting Returns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Returns  (Read 704 times)
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« on: November 05, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »

Here in Houston, we had the opportunity to elect a new mayor for our city.

The result was a tie between two democrats that will now be engaged in a runoff election for the mayoral seat.

One candidate is a black civil rights activist and the other an openly gay woman.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6700242.html

Both good people.

It surprised and impressed me that my fellow Houstonians  have become so open minded.  How do you think your town might react to a choice between the two?

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

It surprised and impressed me that my fellow Houstonians  have become so open minded.  How do you think your town might react to a choice between the two?

I don't mean to always sound contrary, but there's another possible situation.  Maybe people just don't care all that much.

Voter turnout was less than 14%, and Parker and Locke got barely a bit over half the vote together--so about 7% of the voters actually voted for them.

Now that people are forced to choose, however, it could get interesting.

As for my own town... there are three questions we ask about our candidates:

1) Do they have a history of substance abuse?

2) Are they likely to embezzle more than the average amount?

3) Will they freeze the number of liquor licenses granted by the town?

We settle for two out of three fairly often, but we aim for "no" across the board.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:58:13 PM by DannyO » Logged
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »

I'm still very proud of them.  I the past they have so often been known to turn-out to vote "against" certain candidates.  They may not have been rallying "for" these two, but believe me...even apathy is an improvement.

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »

I'm still very proud of them.  I the past they have so often been known to turn-out to vote "against" certain candidates.  They may not have been rallying "for" these two, but believe me...even apathy is an improvement.

I guess I would kind of like to know what their platforms are before I made a decision.

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: