TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 08:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Political Philosophy
| | |-+  Conflicting Principles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conflicting Principles  (Read 998 times)
WS
Member in Good Standing

« on: October 31, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »

When was the last time you found yourself in a situation where two separately held values came into conflict? How did you resolve the situation and come to a decision?  How did you know what was the right thing to do?

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
baf
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »

This is a tough one, WS, without examples. In the abstract, the field flies off in all directions and stays too broad for me.

Outside the box is far vaster than inside.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »

Oh I was thinking about something as simple as  trying to decide whether to lie to a friend when she wants to know if a dress is flattering. (Conflict of telling the truth versus not hurting someone's feelings) or not voting because one doesn't believe in any of the candidates versus voting for the lesser of two evils becuase the election is close and one of the evils is really really bad. etc.

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
baf
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:21:48 PM »

The first scenario is not as simple as it appears   Undecided  If I had no flattering dress to suggest as an alternative, I would try to find the redeeming points of the offending thing and lie like a snake.
Now, with the election scenario, having to choose between a rock and a hard place is becoming more and more frequent in my case. I continue to vote (for the lesser of evils) because I consider the opportunity to vote a privilege that has been hard won. I think of all the people and women for whom it is still beyond reach, and I show up at the ballot box with gratitude. Corny? perhaps, but true.

Outside the box is far vaster than inside.
CWO3ROBBIE
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »

BAF, Like your answer.
WS, You looking for new classroom material?
Well, I have to admit; as I get older I am more willing to make comprimises than in past times. I'm not as much of an idealist and seem more willing to take the path that causes me the least discomfort.  In the past I would have said "yes, those levis make your "butt look bigger", and ended up going to the party by myself.  Now I just say "Honey, Nothing could make that  butt look unattractive" and end up at the party with everybody feeling good.

"FREE SPEECH AND THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED CANNOT COEXIST"!
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »

Very diplomatic, all! I'm really wondering about inner struggles though - things that affect only you in terms of results (I know my examples did not fit that criterion).  I agree with Robbie - as we get older the world is a lot less black and white and we have much more experience in avoiding making decisions as if it were.  Kant says that ends never justify the means.  Are there times when you let the ends justify the means? (The example everyone loves (that I hate because it is so ridiculous) is killing Hitler if you met him on the street during his art school days.)  Maybe the flu shot is a good example of what I'm thinking about.  I find it an intrusion by the government in my life with an unproven and potentially dangerous medium, but I also feel I have a responsibility not to infect my neighbors and friends with flu.  We could have eradicated polio or tuberculosis if everyone had participated in government sponsored measures, for example.

I wonder about the mechanism that people have to make a decision when two (or more) primary values come into conflict.

Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »

I struggling with one of the propositions in tomorrow's election.  I strongly support the cause, but the proposition was so poorly written and loosely defined, that I doubt it will be as effective as it should be if it is passed.  If I oppose it, I'm afraid the issue will never see daylight again.

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »

Well, I have to admit; as I get older I am more willing to make comprimises than in past times. I'm not as much of an idealist and seem more willing to take the path that causes me the least discomfort. 
   I guess with me is the opposite. The older I get less compromises I am willing to make. I think I have less time to make it right and correct the wrong just, because I took the easy road. Not that I always know what is right, but at least what ever I do or say feels right for the moment... most of the time.
   And if I have to experience some inconvenience or even evil look from a co-worker whom I told that those jean make her butt big, it is worth it.
   True story; everyone at work now will come and ask me about how do they look in some outfit, they know that if it is not good I will tell them, and they do want to look good, not just someone to tell them they do. 
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »

Oh Sonya, I suffer less nonsense in my old age, but I also don't expect change so quickly and am more willing to support something that isn't quite what I want it to be. (This probably relates some to Pru's comment). I have great hopes that with time things will get modified to be more like they should.

CWO3ROBBIE
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »

I struggling with one of the propositions in tomorrow's election.  I strongly support the cause, but the proposition was so poorly written and loosely defined, that I doubt it will be as effective as it should be if it is passed.  If I oppose it, I'm afraid the issue will never see daylight again.
That is frequently the case with propositions put on ballets. Usually though the poor wording is intentional to confuse the voters and get the result the person  transcribing the proposal wants.
All of the proposals were approved.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:48:12 AM by CWO3ROBBIE » Logged

"FREE SPEECH AND THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED CANNOT COEXIST"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: