TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 09:01:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Fun with words
| |-+  Bookworms
| | |-+  What to Read
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to Read  (Read 1651 times)
WS
Member in Good Standing

« on: November 18, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »

Winter is settling in. Soon we will have snow in Minnesota. I now have my wood stove and my knitted afghan, so I'm ready - except I need some good books. This is a place for us to make recommendations to each other about what to read. I've got the hedgehog on my list, but what else do you recommend? Let's come up with some nice things to keep our minds off the cold or the heat or the troubles at home!

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

I'm starting the "Guernsey Literature and Potato Peel Pie Society".

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »

Is it supposed to be good? Why? Should I put it on my list?

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »

I recommend Byatt's Possession if you haven't read it.  thought it was a fantastic book - It is complex and not a chewing gum read, but well worth it. It tells of two Literary researchers who write about Victorian authors and the subjects of their research seem to have  had a connection that brings the two modern day researchers into contact,  so you  have  the story of two sets of people in two different times and their interconnections.

Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

I recommend Byatt's Possession if you haven't read it.  thought it was a fantastic book - It is complex and not a chewing gum read, but well worth it. It tells of two Literary researchers who write about Victorian authors and the subjects of their research seem to have  had a connection that brings the two modern day researchers into contact,  so you  have  the story of two sets of people in two different times and their interconnections.

Did that movie have Gwenyth Paltrow in it?  I think I saw that.

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
baf
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »

WS, I enjoyed "Possession" as well. Very atmospheric with a steady buildup of... anticipation.

Outside the box is far vaster than inside.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »

WS, I enjoyed "Possession" as well. Very atmospheric with a steady buildup of... anticipation.

Have you read any other Byatt?  I've bought a few but never seem to get around to them.

baf
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »

No, not that I can remember but here's another excellent read: Water for Elephants.
The story takes place during the Depression and within a traveling circus. Well  crafted and gripping plot.

Outside the box is far vaster than inside.
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »

No, not that I can remember but here's another excellent read: Water for Elephants.
The story takes place during the Depression and within a traveling circus. Well  crafted and gripping plot.

I remember enjoying tihis one.  The elephant was Polish.

Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »

San Michelle by Axel Munte. One of the most beautiful books I have ever read.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »

Thanks, Sonya!!

San Michelle by Axel Munte. One of the most beautiful books I have ever read.

Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 07:29:41 AM »

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
I enjoyed it very much.  It was very human as it dealt with the German occupation of the British Isles in WWII.  A serious topic, but it was written as a very light and lively exchange of letters.  A very fun and funny book.

Rhiannnonn
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »

I remember enjoying tihis one.  The elephant was Polish.

Watch it!! I resemble that remark!!  Smiley

Your most radiant garment is of the other person's weaving;
Your most savory meal is that which you eat at the other person's table;
Your most comfortable bed is in the other person's house.
Now tell me, how can you separate yourself from the other person?

Sand and Foam ~~ Kahlil Gibran
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »

Watch it!! I resemble that remark!!  Smiley

I'm serious.  The elephant would only obey Polish commands.  They thought he was stupid, but he wasn't...just Polish.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: