TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 09:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Fun with words
| |-+  Bookworms
| | |-+  Julie and Julia, or whatever it's called
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Julie and Julia, or whatever it's called  (Read 934 times)
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« on: January 01, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »

My mother gushed over this book.  So, when I was stuck in an airport bookstore, stocking up on books to use as mind fodder to distract me
during the hop between the coasts, and I chanced across a copy, I took the plunge.  I wasn't excited about the purchase, but felt guarded optimism that it would equate to several hours of relieved tedium.  I could tell from a cursory examination that it passed two of my mandatory criteria, and put my faith in my mothers judgment for the third.

Just for the record, my criteria are:

1) The font is big and easy to read.  My eyesight is not good.
2) It's small--will fit in my pocket, will not strain my wrist holding.
3) The writing doesn't suck dead donkey balls hard.

Rarely has a book succeeded so well on criteria 1 and 2 and then fall flatter on its face on 3.

I should have known better than to trust the recommendation of my mother--after all, her track record of recommendations for things like Girls I Should Date is spotty at best.  I should have also noticed the "Soon to be a major motion picture" on the cover--unless you're Nick Hornby, this is usually an indication that dead donkey balls are heading your way.

As far as I can tell, she never actually follows any of the recipes; the book is a listing of all the corners she cuts because she doesn't have the right tools, right ingredients, right husband, right friends, right parents, right kitchen, right job, her car is psychotic, and her truck unreliable.  So, Julie, why don't you step away from the computer, clean up your life, and then come back and write about that?  I mean, if I want to read about self-loathing people who create their own problems, refuse to face them, and dig themselves deeper and deeper into lameness and mediocrity via a failed and half-hearted obsession to achieve a completely arbitrary and meaningless goal, I don't need to pay money for it.  I can read about that sort of thing for free.  That's what blogs are for, right?

To be fair, I gave up on page 150 and didn't finish the book.  When the pilot said it was OK to use electronic devices, I put the book down and didn't pick it up again.  It lost out to "Firefly" reruns on my iPod.  I can't say much more than that.  Maybe it got a bunch better towards the end.

But lots and lots of people thought this book was pretty peachy.  If you can explain this to me, I am your apt pupil.

WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:11 AM »

Sorry, I just can't get excited about this one and the film sounds like the Julia Child part is good, but the the otehr Julia is deadly dull.

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: