TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Religion, faith, and spiritual matters
| | |-+  Is faith learned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is faith learned?  (Read 2701 times)
Brian
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »

Oh dear.  I just called Pru 'the great and powerful', and look who shows up - the queen herself. 
I need to be careful what I say - I had no idea my words carried such power.
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

Where is everyone coming from?

It is great to see you Saraka!!!  I had a dream that you were in not too long ago.  I won't tell you about it, so you will always wonder.

Brian, are you talking about ChrissCee who is my best friend in the real world...or Chris s who is practically my best friend in the virtual world?

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
Brian
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »

I think I am talking about ChrissCee who is your best friend in the real world.  She's over on facebook telling everyone that she's visiting you. 
It is nice to be visited by one's best friend in the real world!  What a good thing.
And yes, faith is learned.  But the rest of the question is interesting.  I think someone growing up utterly without religion would be less likely in today's world to create a religion than in the past.  We are presented with answers for so many material questions these days that a person wouldn't feel a need for a god for that, and I fear it is easy for people in the modern world to skate through life thinking that those practical questions are really the only ones there are.
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 02:18:03 AM »

So you think we can handle the responsibility of being the "head honcho"?  The top of the "food chain"?

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
Brian
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »

Um.  Is this a religious discussion?  Your question is too ambiguous for me.  I won't attempt to answer.  I have plenty of thoughts but they are all sort of philosophical and not really personal.
I'll side-step the religion issue for now, because it is too easy to be misunderstood in a short written message - especially when I would probably be answering a question that was not asked, and wander off on a tangent.  I was going to ask you if it would be OK if I 'friended' (stupid verb) Chriss Cee on facebook.  I think it would be the first time I actually initiated a friend request.  But if she's an actual, real life friend of yours, then I'm interested in making the connection.  Then I noticed she is already a 'friend'!  When did that happen?  Probably long ago when I was saying yes to anyone who seemed to have a TBD connection when there was the Great Migration.
I still think facebook is stupid. 
But I hope you are well and happy.
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »

If there was no written history of the Bible, do you think you would still believe in the existence of a God?  If not, do you think you would create one?

If there was no written history of the Bible, that would probably be because there wasn't any written language, because things of that relevance would otherwise be written down.  So I'd probably be working on inventing written language.  That's the sort of thing I like to think about.  I'm not really good at the deep stuff like whether God exists because I believe in him or vice versa.  I'm more of a nuts and bolts inventor/innovator.
Brian
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

OK. You work on the language.  I'll work on the wardrobes and paraphernalia.  That stuff's pretty cool in any religion, and I think I can go ahead get started on that while Pru is working out the deep stuff.  Once she figures out the answer to life, the universe and everything, I can tweak the costumes and gear to fit.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: