TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 08:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What to do/see at Disney World?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to do/see at Disney World?  (Read 841 times)
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« on: April 17, 2010, 04:50:34 PM »

OK, the O'Bigbellys are on vacation.  At Disney World.

The first day was great.  We did a fair piece of the Magic Kingdom.  The girls liked the thrill rides (which, at Disney parks, are distinctly non-thrilling--despite the myriad warnings posted on some of the rides, no doubt required to prevent frivolous lawsuits, the most thrilling ride we've seen at a Disney park is less hair-raising or physically demanding than driving a car with bad shocks down Mass Ave), but most of the rest is a yawn.  Space Mountain was on the fritz when we tried to go, but I doubt it would improve things much anyway.

The girls would happily spend all day going on Thunder Mountain Railroad, but I'm sure they'd tire eventually.

Epcot?  Soarin' was OK, but all the warnings about it being dangerous to pregnant women, people with motion sickness, and wimps of various other sorts was pure blarney.  The thingy where they simulate shooting you into space looked fun, but was busted; maybe we'll try that again tomorrow.  The line for The Test Track (or whatever it's called) was ludicrous.  Even the Fast Pass gizmo essentially said "come back tomorrow".

Disney Movie Studios?  The only thing that got my pulse elevated was watching the look on my seven-year-old's face on that ride when the Alien (from the movie "Alien") jumps down at you through the hole in the ceiling.  She is not familiar with that particular movie yet, but thought it was a hoot.  The rest of the park was boring.  The Star Wars "Journey to Endor"?  More or less equivalent in terms of sensation with watching "A New Hope" at home on TV with the volume turned all the way up while your nephew leaps up and down on the far end of the couch.  The only reason they make you wear a restraining harness is so you don't get up and walk away when you realize how lame the whole thing is going to be and that it's going to go on for another three minutes.

Note that I'm not some sort of hardcore rollercoaster/thrill-ride junkie.  Quite the opposite.  There are rides that make me weak in the knees just to think about.  The Python at the old Busch Gardens?  Nightmares.  That roller coaster in New Jersey where you go through backwards?  The only force on earth powerful enough to make me ride that thing was peer pressure.  So, when I say that these rides are lame, I'm not being macho.  I'm saying that these rides evoke nothing more than giggles from a seven-year-old.  "It's a Small World" got more of a rise from them.

So, anyway, where should I take them at Disney?  What's the latest cool thing?

Tomorrow we're doing the Animal Kingdom.  I hope there are animals involved, and they're not animatronic.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: