TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 08:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  visitors from another place
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: visitors from another place  (Read 975 times)
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« on: January 24, 2010, 06:23:29 AM »

Have you ever met a time traveler, or a person from another planet, or possibly even another dimension?

I'm guessing nobody will want to be the first to say yes, but I'm just throwing it out there.

What I'm really asking is whether you've ever met someone who is so far out there in some manner that you can't help but think to yourself whether you maybe, just maybe, the fact that they are a being from another reality, however unlikely you may believe that to be, is a plausible explanation for their quirks?

I used to work with someone who used to work with someone else.   Let's call them Alice and Bob.  Bob is a real genius--I don't mean that I think he's pretty smart, I mean that everybody thinks he's really smart, and if I told you his name, you might even recognize it because he's won things at the Nobel prize level (there is no Nobel in his field, but at the same level)--but has trouble communicating with most people, primarily because he's an asshole.

So one day, as I'm sitting at my desk, Alice pops her head into my office and says "You know, I really think that Bob is an space alien sent to earth to explain their technology to us."

This was a bit off-topic, so it took me a moment to respond.

"Why would aliens want to send Bob here to explain their tech to us?" I asked.

"Probably because he's an asshole and they wanted to get him out of their lives," Alice answered, without hesitation.  It was clear that she'd thought this through.

Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »

I was never so lucky to meet someone like Bob.
       However I met people  I thought  should not be called a human being, and the term "homo sapiens" is highly exaggerated attached to them.
Suuse
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »

Oh, I can think of a few people with whom I'm acquainted who are big brains:  

JB, the fella I worked with at The Little Software Company That Should Have But Didn't, Quite, was one of those two-PhDs-before-breakfast (physics and computer science) sorts.  What made him accessible was that he was a warm, patient guy who understood that we didn't understand and he would explain things to us the same way he explained them to his then-7-year-old daughter.  

Then there's A.P.--an absolutely daft and delightful child who sang "Movin' Right Along" to me every morning before we retreated to our respective cubes...where I did market research and designed things and he sorted out new and better ways to hack top-security installations so that he could build better security systems.  (He had a very good badding average.)  (And no, that's not a typo; that's what we called it.)

Maybe the biggest brain--arguable in an apples/kumquats kinds way--was a fella married to a friend of mine.  He works at JPL, where his job is to think.  For fun, he reviews other scientists' work--and has written two mathematical analyses of the OED.

My favourite, though, is Stephen Sondheim.  Amongst his other accomplishments, he wrote the New York Times crossword puzzles for years.

What can I say--brains turn me on.    

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:44:48 PM by Suuse » Logged

You've got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.  --Bruce Cockburn
Rhiannnonn
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:28:57 AM »

Uhm...My daughter actually was serious when she asked me if I was from another planet. She's also accused me of being Number 5, the robot in "Short Circuit." She says that I read and take in info the way the robot did with the famous last words of "more input!!" She's also calls me, "The Queen of Trivia!" I also have an uncanny ability to get most of the questions right watching "Jeopardy," "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," and "Cash Cab." If my landlord has company when there's a trivia program on, he comes and pesters me to come out of my room and show off.  Embarrassed

The problem is that I'm not good around people. Between panic attacks and stuttering, it often takes a while for people to understand that one. Takes them a while, but when they do, it's always the same: "You should go on Jeopardy!!" Problem with that thought is that while I could probably give Ken Jennings a run for the money, I would never be able to do it in front of a live studio audience. Or the other two contestants, for that matter.  Sad Such is life.

Your most radiant garment is of the other person's weaving;
Your most savory meal is that which you eat at the other person's table;
Your most comfortable bed is in the other person's house.
Now tell me, how can you separate yourself from the other person?

Sand and Foam ~~ Kahlil Gibran
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: