TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 03:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Your secret sport
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your secret sport  (Read 1475 times)
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« on: January 23, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »

As faithful, long-time readers will doubtless remember, I have a daydream that plays in my head sometimes during my ironing sessions, those endless minutes, usually on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings, when I perpetuate the illusion that I give a damn how I look by steaming a few of deeper arroyos out of the shirts I anticipate I might wear in the upcoming week.

In my daydream, I am a champion ironer.  I compete at the international level.  My likeness adorns Wheaties boxes.  My Olympic records for endurance ironing have remained unchallenged for a generation, although there are some skeptics who feel that they should be marked in the record books with an asterisk, because the altitude of Mexico City gave me an unfair advantage.  I am looking forward to London and have secretly been honing my high-humidity left-handed collar technique.  In order to find my peers, you must look to other sports: Michael Jordan has been called the "Danny O'Bigbelly of basketball."

In real life, there is not much basis for these fantasies.  In truth, my efforts are so ineffectual that I sometimes mistake the "done" pile with the "to-do" pile of shirts.  I thank my lucky stars for bulky sweaters.

So, are there any sports that you have invented in your head?  Are you the world-champion, or a contender waiting for your big break?
BoobooPuppy
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:55:07 AM »

You make anything you do sound like an adventure Danny.   Cheesy  My sport is the calculator marathon.
Felicia
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:55:56 AM »

Mine is Fastest Batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies. I whip 'em up on the fly... the recipe memorized for a long time - and even the fact that I have memorized a recipe should be a world record - if the world consisted of only me that is.

Oh, and that I rarely need to borrow an ingredient - almost a world record.

We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.  ~Mark Vonnegut
Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »

I talk fast, I think I can make good carrier as one of those guys on the auctions.  I am faster in Bulgarian and sometime when I am too exited, for example when I am fussing  to my kids, I fast switch from English to Bulgaria, because I an speak even faster. Now, why do I want to speak faster when they refuse to get it when I am speaking slow and articulate? I don't know. This does not happen very often though, and I outgrew this stage long time ago.
Suuse
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »

I regularly compete in the photo edit.  Cheesy

You've got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.  --Bruce Cockburn
Rhiannnonn
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:03:48 AM »

Formerly, I was The Champion Knitter of Fisherman's Knit Sweaters. I achieved that title when I knitted one for a large man and it only took me one week to start and finish it.

At about the same time, I was also The Champion Crocheter of Fancy Winter Scarves. I was churning out scarves at a rate of two ever three days.

Currently, I'm working on becoming The Champion Seamstress. I've been sewing since I was 8 years-old. When I was expecting my daughter, I made baby (obviously) clothes for her. The only trim that I afford at the time was to use the fancy stitches and contrasting colors of thread. I can sew pretty much anything as long as I can find or make a pattern for it: drapes, Barbie doll clothes, baby clothes, wedding dresses, soft sculpture dolls (read that as Cabbage Patch Kid type dolls - that's before the heads were plastic), quilts (I was offered $1,000 for the first quilt I made), seat covers (for a van) that really stayed put - none of this constant pulling them back into place all the time, etc., etc.

Also working on The World's Champion Baker. You should see that I can do with a cake! And when my grandkids were much younger, I made them gingerbread cookies by the hundred (literally!). The grandkids would tell me how to decorate each one! LOL!! I was painting the Royal Icing with plaids (with food color) on Gingerbread Ladies, and stripes for the Gingerbread men.

I also made Thumb Print cookies. More of them than I could guess the number of. My ex-SIL used to take them to work. What made mine novel was that where as you usually see them only with a red colored jelly, the ones I was making had all sorts of jellies on them. Strawberry, cherry, grape, orange marmalade, blackberry, peach, even Boysenberry! The ex-SIL would take them to work with him and said that everyone loved them.

And pies!!! I had a friend whose mother described my pie crust as so flakey that it would fall apart if you stared at it too hard. And cakes!! I make this incredible Mock Black Forrest Torte that's always a people pleaser...!

Your most radiant garment is of the other person's weaving;
Your most savory meal is that which you eat at the other person's table;
Your most comfortable bed is in the other person's house.
Now tell me, how can you separate yourself from the other person?

Sand and Foam ~~ Kahlil Gibran
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »

I conpete in marathon computer terminal sitting (unfortunately!) wink!   Cheesy

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »

WS, I think I can compete with you on this one too...hmmm. I need practice now
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »

WS, I think I can compete with you on this one too...hmmm. I need practice now

Right there with you (right now )- It seems like were always the only ones on line here! (I know Pru is here right now too!)

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »

May be we can form a relay-race team, what do you think? Hew Pru, are you in?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: