TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 03:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Under my nose
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Under my nose  (Read 1008 times)
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« on: January 22, 2010, 05:01:05 AM »

More than fifteen years ago, before I met him, Livingston Taylor put out an album named "3-Way Mirror".  It wasn't an enormous commercial success (I just checked on Amazon.com, and it seems to be a bit of a collectors item at this point), but I figure with the demographic here, maybe someone knows it and it's likely that at least a few of you listen to Livingston.

The obligations of friendship being what they are, I probably own more of Liv's work than I would under ordinary circumstances.  I don't usually listen to pop, and when I do it's usually pop targeted at a much younger crowd.  I like my sonic fluff to be about boys with fast cars and girls with long legs, short skirts, and questionable taste in men.  Pop about my own demographic cuts too close to the bone.

But I digress.

Anyway, I've got a copy of "3-Way Mirror".  For the longest time, I couldn't figure out what the title meant.  I know what an ordinary mirror is, and I know what a two-way mirror is.  But a three-way mirror?  What does that do?  Is it some sort of metaphor?  Is it like you're looking through a two-way mirror watching Liv perform, while through the mirror someone else is watching you?  Or that when you're watching Liv perform, you're also watching other people watch Liv perform, and watching each other?  Or something totally different?

I didn't have a clue.

And I was somewhat worried because I kept thinking that someday it would come up in conversation and Liv would find out that I hadn't figured out his joke, or metaphor, or whatever it was.  Maybe he'd think I hadn't given it a thought, or maybe that I didn't even care.

I get worried about things like this.

This old fear swam to the surface again a few days ago, so I gave it another thought.  I got out the CD and looked at it.  Not much to work with; just the same old bland photo of Liv fixing the collar of his trademark tweed jacket, standing in front of a full-length mirror.   One of those mirrors you see in a clothes store, or a fancy wardrobe--the kind that have three panels, so you can see yourself from several different angles.

So, what was right under your nose for days, months, or years before you finally figured it out?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:06:35 AM by DannyO » Logged
Felicia
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

This is one of those questions where I could give a million examples but of course at this moment I have nuttin'. See, Danny, I'm a bit of a space cadet at times. Things are often under my nose without my awareness until later. I can inhale these things and not be aware... until someone points out that I have something on my nose. Smiley But I have realized this is something I can improve upon. My mind must slow down or settle down and stop being in all directions, like a 3-way mirror. I try to stop and smell the roses that are right under my nose, ha. I marvel at the sponge ability of minds to retain. I posted last night on FB that I never heard of the Seekers. Well, after someone commented this morning, who is 10 years younger than myself, said he had and another younger than myself mentioned Georgy Girl. Well, of course I knew that song! Just didn't know the name of the group. Never picked up the name or cared enough to know. Maybe that's what it is, I don't care enough to know stuff? Oh well, it suits me fine I guess as long as I don't beat myself over it.
I loved your story. I love how you write.

We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.  ~Mark Vonnegut
Suuse
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »

I find I'm a bit slow at the obvious things.  Where many people march to their own ("different") drummer, I have a whole percussion section playing away--the likes of Alex Acuna, Joe Porcaro, Hal Blaine, Nels Bragg, Paulinho DaCosta...those guys.  Compound that with a right brain speaks softly but carries a bigger stick than my left brain, what's hard is simple...and what's natural comes hard. 

You've got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.  --Bruce Cockburn
Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »

This is one of those questions where I could give a million examples but of course at this moment I have nuttin'. See, Danny, I'm a bit of a space cadet at times. Things are often under my nose without my awareness until later. I can inhale these things and not be aware... until someone points out that I have something on my nose. Smiley But I have realized this is something I can improve upon. My mind must slow down or settle down and stop being in all directions, like a 3-way mirror. I try to stop and smell the roses that are right under my nose, ha. I marvel at the sponge ability of minds to retain. I posted last night on FB that I never heard of the Seekers. Well, after someone commented this morning, who is 10 years younger than myself, said he had and another younger than myself mentioned Georgy Girl. Well, of course I knew that song! Just didn't know the name of the group. Never picked up the name or cared enough to know. Maybe that's what it is, I don't care enough to know stuff? Oh well, it suits me fine I guess as long as I don't beat myself over it.
I loved your story. I love how you write.
  Felicia,  you just described me. I am the same way. But I found I do know the names of artists, groups, writers I really like. I just don't overload my mind with information I don't are much about it. It is so easy to overload it anyway. 
   To answer your question Danny, there are any times I would like to kick my self in the pants and say "duh".  Sometime we just try to go to deep and see things that are right on the surface, or trying to think out of the box but missing the details inside.

BoobooPuppy
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »

It took me forever to figue out that "BRB" meant "be right back" while I was chatting with my sister.  And my Mom always said "PO'd" while I was growing up--I was in my 30's before it dawned on me what it meant. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: