TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 03:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  They grow on you
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: They grow on you  (Read 912 times)
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« on: January 20, 2010, 05:05:27 AM »

As many of you know, I've been going through a thing with Morph the Cat (http://www.amazon.com/Morph-Cat-Donald-Fagen/dp/B000E5N62U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1263987927&sr=8-1).

It's one of those albums that people tend to need to listen to a few times before they start to like it (assuming that they ever do), but once it takes hold, it becomes part of you.  I should have expected this, because I felt almost the same way about Fagen's previous two solo albums, even though they had much more infectious hooks.  I mean some of the tunes on those albums actually got air time on radio stations people have heard of--but I doubt you're going to hear Morph the Cat on AOR any time soon.  It's just not the sort of thing that has an instant mass appeal.  It doesn't make you want to get up and dance, except for the peppiest, toe-tappingest song, which is about death (Brite Nightgown).  The lyrics are witty and irreverent, but largely irrelevant; it's not about the words.  It's about the perfectly crafted groove, harmonies, and impossibly sophisticated chord progressions.

But even though it might seem uninteresting or even boring on first listen, try listening to it once per day for a week.  Perhaps you'll be one of those people who crave it after that.

Everyone has something like that: the album they almost threw away but is now the cornerstone of their collection.  The book that gathered dust, half-read, for endless months, before becoming a personal revelation.  The life partner you used to think had cooties.

What is it for you?
Suuse
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »

Guinness.   Cheesy

You've got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.  --Bruce Cockburn
BoobooPuppy
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:19:31 AM »

I used to hate mushrooms.   Cry Mom would strain them out of the lunch mushroom soup when I was  a child.  Now I love them. 

I used to hate the Allman Brothers.  Now I like some of their music.  I listened to part of Morph the Cat--I liked it.  It reminded me of Steely Dan.  I may have to research this further.  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: