TBD on Public Spectacle
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 03:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hey! This site is less annoying than facebook.
1,717 Posts in 138 Topics by 72 Members
Latest Member: Jacquis59
* Home Help Login Register
+  TBD on Public Spectacle
|-+  Smalltalk and whatnot
| |-+  Quick Questions (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Giving Bad Gifts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Giving Bad Gifts  (Read 1563 times)
WS
Member in Good Standing

« on: December 22, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »

Talk of the Nation had an episode with "Ask Amy" in which they talked about inappropriate gifts. What is the worst or most inappropriate Christmas/Winter holiday gift you have ever received?   Should people be criticised for their gift choices?

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Felicia
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »

I'm stumped for I can not think of a bad gift. I'm sure there were gifts I wouldn't have picked out for myself. Maybe because I've always been so practical that if it can be used, I'll use it. I'm not big into clothes so I've not been gifted with clothes much. Unless it's practical Smiley like pj's or sweats.
No, I don't feel gifts should be criticized. I don't believe I've ever returned a gift unless it was exchanged for a different size. My mother-in-law would return her gift every single year for so many years. It was as though she tried her best to not like it. She's not a material person at all but often times the gifts were ones that she could have really used. It was very strange and I still don't get where her head was at. Then we decided to only give her gift certificates which worked out fine. Until last year... a robe I got for myself (we do this, hubby and i - buy for ourselves and then wrap and say it's from the other) but hubby hadn't thought of anything to get her and didn't want to get another gift certificate, so I offered my robe, knowing that she hadn't gotten a new one in many years. It was a beautiful robe, soooo soft! Well, over this past thanksgiving while visiting with her, she was in an old tattered robe. It was bothering the heck out of me and I wanted to say something. So... I asked if she had another robe I could borrow as I didn't bring mine. When she gave me the beautiful one she received last year I had to ask. Why aren't you using this nice robe? She said it was too heavy for her. She offered it back to me (like all those years in the past) and I said ok. Well, the day we were leaving John said to her (while I was not around) 'are you sure you don't want this?' She said 'it really is a nice robe, isn't it?' and decided to keep it. Very strange. This year we're back to the gift certificate.

We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.  ~Mark Vonnegut
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:51:57 PM »

Good for you, Felicia! You should have heard them talking about the people that gave thrifty or useful gifts. (One guy gave his wife tires, for example.)

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan.
Felicia
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:19:25 AM »

tires? hmmm... ok, the key message is... know the other person well enough to know what they'd like. Now, if the wife wanted tires, then it's a great gift!
I guess I never equated the love or feelings toward me to the gift. A gift is a gift is a gift. Christmas has always been hard for me because of this pressure of gift giving. My young adult children have no money and I don't like the idea of their feeling bad about not giving a good enough gift. It really bothers me! I so could do away with this holiday... (ok, exit Scrooge Wink
MERRY CHRISTMAS ! HO HO HO!!!

We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.  ~Mark Vonnegut
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:20:55 AM »

Alas, she did NOT want tires. (Now,  I wouldn't mind tires....)

Wink

BoobooPuppy
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »

My MIL lived in Italy for a few years.  There are very nice Catholic-themed gifts available in Italy.  I am not Catholic.  Some of her choices didn't make much sense to me--a marble replication of the Vatican stands out as one of the oddest.  Last year she gave us a s'more maker to use inside the house.  It seemed a little odd too, and is still in the box.  She also bought Hubby a very old Bible that was fallling apart, because he once said he was interested in older books like the original Moby Dick etc.  I know she means well.
Sofia Chesterfield
Member in Good Standing

I am concerned.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »

My mother-in-law can't remember my size for very long--not as long as it takes for her to pick something out of a catalog after I tell her.  She keeps getting me stuff from stores like Express (does everyone know what that is?  I don't know if they're regional or national.  Anyway, they make clothes for mall rats, anorexic college girls, and the like) even though there is almost nothing in the store that even comes in my size except earrings.  Even the bracelets are too small.

Life is bowel of cherries.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 10:25:21 AM »

My mother-in-law can't remember my size for very long--not as long as it takes for her to pick something out of a catalog after I tell her.  She keeps getting me stuff from stores like Express (does everyone know what that is?  I don't know if they're regional or national.  Anyway, they make clothes for mall rats, anorexic college girls, and the like) even though there is almost nothing in the store that even comes in my size except earrings.  Even the bracelets are too small.

That's kind of sweet - she thinks you are young and hip!

WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »

Okay! I got dogfood for people from someone who shall be nameless - I knew that was the best gift she was going to give me!
It looks like this - only my bone is blue:

DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »

I didn't get any really awful presents this year.

But there are still a loose ends to tie up--my parents still haven't decided what they're getting me.  They don't like to rush things.
stillgoing
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »

My youngest sister and her husband usually come up with reasonable unique gifts. I know I'll never get a duplicate from them. A basket carved from a single piece of wood was interesting. For several years they were into home made wind chimes. They would create these from whatever was around; silverware and miscellaneous pieces of metal.

This year it was a large metal bowl glazed with acrylic. And a bag of instant Mexican soup they said was really good.
DannyO
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »

And a bag of instant Mexican soup they said was really good.

I'm almost afraid to ask... but what do Mexicans taste like?

Pollo?
Sonya Self
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »

And a bag of instant Mexican soup they said was really good.

I'm almost afraid to ask... but what do Mexicans taste like?

Pollo?

LOL
Prunella Farquar
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:45 AM »

Okay! I got dogfood for people from someone who shall be nameless - I knew that was the best gift she was going to give me!

I can't believe you liked the dog food better than the sumo wrestler suit that I gave you.

Because one pole may catch a fish, it does not mean that 5 poles will catch an inner tube.
WS
Member in Good Standing

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »

I can't believe you liked the dog food better than the sumo wrestler suit that I gave you.

I haven't had a chance to put on the Sumo suit . It inflates with a fan and it is TOO darned cold right now to think about having cold air blowing on me!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: